Thursday 28 January 2010

Journey north; arrrival in Oshana district

I arrived in Ongwediva after a seven and a half hour drive along a very straight road. We did have to stop twice for petrol, once to let a family of baboons cross the road and once for our driver to buy some funghi for tea.

Apparently, they are very tasty and grow only at the base of termite mounds when the rains come. All of the countryside we passed through is bushland – it is too dry to grow anything there.


When we entered Ovamboland, things changed in more ways than one. This area is much poorer and much more like Zambia. However in addition to the rain, lots of water flows here from the Angolan Highlands to the north. In the village settlements families are therefore able to keep chickens, goats and maybe cattle – they are subsistence farmers. The land is very flat.

We eventually arrived at our house which is quite big and has a lovely garden with plenty of trees for shade.
We were very despondent when we entered, as the house hadn’t been lived in for some time and was quite dirty. Moreover there was no gas, no electricity, no equipment in the kitchen except a fridge and some spoons and no bedding. Luckily we were rescued by another volunteer who lived nearby and who took us out for a pizza!

So the next day we went shopping. First we bought electricity from the garage. Then we had to buy lots of equipment for the house and clean it from top to bottom. I am very glad that there were 3 of us and I didn’t have to do it all on my own! This is my bedroom now that I have settled in. I share it with a lizard.




HEALTH & SAFETY

Are you wondering why my bed is covered by a blue net? It is to help to stop the mosquitoes biting me at night. These insects carry a parasite which can give people a serious illness called malaria. Many people die from this disease unless they are protected.
This is a photo of some of the essential items I have to keep me safe. They include tablets to stop me from becoming ill if I am bitten, 'Doom' with which to spray my room, and something to spray my body with. The sun and heat could also cause me problems. The temperature has been above 35 degrees and the sun has been shining everyday (sorry!). I therefore need drink lots of water and use lots of suntan lotion. Why do you think I need an umbrella ? The following picture might help you to answer that question. It is of Jason (a senior educational advisor) who helped us with our shopping, talking to a friend of his. Look at the lady in the background.

Many people steal as they are so poor; we have to put metal bars across our doors at night.
I must go now and do my washing. We do not have a washing machine so I have to do it by hand in the sink outside. At least it will dry very quickly!
Make sure you all take great care of yourselves too.
Kalei po nawa.

No comments:

Post a Comment