Sunday 24 January 2010

Windhoek, the capital of Namibia

“Mwa lele po – good morning to you all! I am Mrs Bird, what is your name? How are you? How are your parents/brothers/sisters? The weather is very warm but rainy today.”

Greetings are very important in Namibia and, even when you meet several people at once, you have to shake hands (in the same way as they do in Zambia) and have a conversation like the one above with each person in turn or you are thought to be very rude and disrespectful.

I have just finished my training which, as you can see, has included learning a little of a language called Oshikwanyama. It is spoken by the people in the north of the country which is where I will be travelling tomorrow.

Everyday I have walked to the VSO office with two other volunteers. We were the only white people walking although many white people live in Windhoek. Why might that be?
This is a photo of part of my route.
Try to find out why this street might have been given the name Nelson Mandela Avenue. The following information might help you. After the 2nd World War, Namibia was ruled by South Africa who introduced the system of apartheid. All the black people had to leave Windhoek and live in a township called Katatura. After a long struggle, Namibia became independent in 1990; however, most black Namibians still live in Katatura or in the ‘informal settlements’ beyond as they still cannot afford to buy other houses.

Sunset over Windhoek. There are frequent thunderstorms.


This is the VSO office – I am sure that Mrs O’Brien will exclaim,”Look, the ………… is exactly the same as ours!”
And this is the view from the front door! At least it is not snowing which it was when I left England.







Water is a big problem in Namibia. If you look closely at a map, you will find it hard to find many rivers and they are all in the north. Most of the country has to get its water from bore holes and this is running out as there is not enough rain. On the other hand, the rains are getting much heavier in the north, there is a great deal of flooding and peoples’ clay houses are destroyed. The women then have to rebuild them by hand.

The Namibian people whom I have met are very friendly and determined to improve their lives and their country. I visited a Young Achievers’ meeting yesterday in Katatura. The young people, aged between 7 and 20 years of age, are all from very poor families but each had a vision of what they wanted to achieve. At the meetings they learn the skills they might need and support each other. One young man who is now the breadwinner for his family as well as studying to become a lawyer, said that he had been about to give up his studies but, after the meeting, knew he had to continue. They all wanted my email address so I might become very busy!

These are the other two headteachers who will be working in the Oshana region with me. We went to a supermarket to buy some food. Most things cost the same as in England or even more – like fruit and vegetables.









My first sight of Namibian wildlife.

I must now go and soak my mosquito net in insecticide as I will need it tomorrow.
Next time I will tell you about my journey to Ongwediva and my new life there.

Ka endeni po nawa ovahongifikola, ovahongwaficola. (go well teachers, learners).

2 comments:

  1. Dear Mrs. Bird,
    Fox Talbot have been reading your blog with real interest and we have lots of questions that we would like to ask. We'll get your email address and send you a message very soon once we have collected our thoughts.

    Fox Talbot and Mrs. March

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have lots of questions too, like, how is your new accommodation, what is the food like, will you be doing your own cooking, cleaning and washing? What other animals have you seen?

    Winebutt sent with love.

    ReplyDelete